From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} AMD Barcelona vs. Intel Harpertown (also 10k vs 15k RPM)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:45:33
1 On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 07:46 -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm trying to decide between an AMD Barcelona or an Intel Harpertown
3 > quad-core CPU for a web/database server. The Intel would have a 5%
4 > lower clock speed. I've read that Harpertown outperforms Barcelona
5 > (by 20%?), but that the quad-core implementation isn't as good on the
6 > Harpertown. It's surprisingly difficult to get comparative benchmarks
7 > on these at similar clock speeds. Does anyone know which of these
8 > should perform better in a web/database server? I support AMD on my
9 > non-critical systems, but I need performance for this server.
10 >
11 > I'm also trying to decide between a 2.5" 10k HD vs. a 3.5" 15k HD.
12 > I've read that the 15k yields about a 20% I/O performance boost so I
13 > think I'll go for it. I won't be using RAID at all.
14 >
15 > - Grant
16
17 > I won't be using RAID at all.
18 If uptime is of no concern to you, then why even bother about speed?