From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:02:34
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 31 December 2010, walt did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 12/31/2010 04:52 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > This is weird. When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen
6 > > I get a blinking cursor in the top-right of a blank screen. An emerge of
7 > > nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
8 > > is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
9 > > because it was "in use".
10 >
11 > I've noticed that running the NVIDIA installation program manually puts
12 > the resulting nvidia.ko in a different directory than when using emerge to
13 > do the install.
14 >
15 > So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you probably
16 > have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and the wrong one gets
17 > loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging nvidia-drivers will build
18 > *and* load the correct kernel module each time you do it.
19 >
20 > May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.
21
22 module-rebuild takes care of all that niceyl.
23
24 You only have to remember to run that one command, not all the individual out-
25 of-mainline modules you have installed.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com