From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:56:15
1 On 12/31/2010 04:52 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > This is weird. When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen
5 > I get a blinking cursor in the top-right of a blank screen. An emerge of
6 > nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
7 > is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
8 > because it was "in use".
9
10 I've noticed that running the NVIDIA installation program manually puts
11 the resulting nvidia.ko in a different directory than when using emerge to
12 do the install.
13
14 So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you probably
15 have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and the wrong one gets
16 loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging nvidia-drivers will build
17 *and* load the correct kernel module each time you do it.
18
19 May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.