From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 12:35:59
1 On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:32 PM, Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > >   No-no. C++ is a nightmare. A few people want to use it.
4 >
5 > C++ is an extremely widespread language with millions of lines of code written daily world wide.
6
7 i think that might be misleading as it seems to
8 imply that being a c++ dev is mutually exclusive
9 against being a c dev (is it? the languages agree on
10 many syntaxes/features).
11
12 i think the right way of thinking is as follows:
13
14 1. identify programming features needed to code
15 a reliable pms. i think most likely all we
16 need is [recursive] function calls and
17 if/else/loops. the rest probably has to do
18 with algorithms (independent of the language).
19
20 2. pick language that has features (1) and has the
21 largest users base. if the set of features in
22 (1) is small enough (such as ones i suggested),
23 then the c++ developers should be counted as c
24 developers (because that part is common between
25 c++ and c).
26
27 3. apply occam's razor. if two languages are
28 equally satisfying points (1) and (2), then
29 choose the simplest one. but if my thought is
30 correct (that we only need the subset of
31 features in c++ that's already in c), then c is
32 guaranteed to have a greater effective number
33 of developers in step (2). hence, we will not
34 even need to apply occam's razor to remove c++
35 (unless points (1) and (2) result in a tie,
36 which i don't think it does in this case).
37
38 > Lots of people want to use it. Just not people who want to write a PMS compliant package manager.
39
40 probably same kind of people that are headed to
41 blow their legs (and ours) in the process.