From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update installed packages, but not install new ones
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:30:31
1 Nikodemus Karlsson schreef:
2 > Hi, almost every time when I do a complete packages upgrade using
3 > emerge -u world, portage flags for new packages which is going to be
4 > installed. Is there an option to get rid of this behavior, so I only
5 > get the updated packages with one command?
6
7 I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Sometimes updating a package
8 requires new dependent packages to be installed (which new packages the
9 previous version of the package in your world file did not require, so
10 they're not installed already). In fact, this is the only reason I can
11 think of that an emerge -u world would install new packages, other than
12 changed USE flags, which is more or less the same thing.
13
14 The most likely to succeed way to eliminate most of the extra dependent
15 packages is to do an emerge -uav(Dt) world, which will enable you to see
16 what USE flags are enabled for the packages requested to emerge, which
17 often will reveal what's going on without you having to do anything more
18 (for example, if you're updating gnome to 2.12 (as I'm doing today), and
19 in the course of the prospective emerge you notice (as I did) that 1)
20 epiphany is being updated (normal), and 2) mozilla is being emerged (not
21 desired), an emerge -pv epiphany shows that
22
23 emerge -pv epiphany
24
25 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
26
27 Calculating dependencies ...done!
28 [ebuild N ] www-client/mozilla-1.7.12-r2 +crypt -debug +gnome -ipv6
29 +java +ldap -mozcalendar -mozdevelop +moznocompose +moznoirc +moznomail
30 -moznoxft +mozsvg -postgres +ssl +truetype -xinerama +xprint 468 kB
31 [ebuild U ] www-client/epiphany-1.8.2 [1.6.4] +dbus -debug -doc
32 -firefox +python 3,275 kB
33
34 looking at the USE flags for epiphany, I see that there is a 'firefox'
35 USE flag which is not enabled. As you might imagine, I do use Firefox
36 (since as you see, I don't have Mozilla installed), and being clever, I
37 guess that I can replace Epiphany's dependency on 'some Mozilla browser'
38 by enabling the 'firefox' USE flag, and that is the case:
41 emerge -pv epiphany
42
43 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
44
45 Calculating dependencies ...done!
46 [ebuild U ] www-client/epiphany-1.8.2 [1.6.4] +dbus -debug -doc
47 +firefox* +python 3,275 kB
48
49 The star next to the firefox USE flag indicates that it is a flag whose
50 status has changed since I last emerged this application.
51
52 And as you see, Mozilla will not be installed.
53
54 For more troublesome to debug dependencies, an emerge -uavt(D) world
55 will show what packages are requiring the additional packages to be
56 emerged so that you can see their USE flags (which may be requiring the
57 additional packages), or at least which packages may have new hard
58 dependencies that require the additonal packages (which status you can
59 look up using equery or other tools whose names I momentarily forget, or
60 online at www.gentoo-portage.com ).
61
62 > In the meantime, the upgrade flags for install of a package
63 > "uw-mailutils-2004g", which conflicts with pine. I don't want
64 > uw-mailutils-2004g, but I want pine. Ok, it's easy to upgrade
65 > manually all the packages except uw-mailutils-2004g, but then I lose
66 > the convinience with the world file, even in the future. Anyone who
67 > knows how to solve this problem?
68
69 This looks fairly insoluble without giving something up:
70
71 Runtime Dependencies
72 uw-mailutils-2004g
73
74 ! mail-client/pine - 4.64-r1
75 ! net-mail/uw-imap - 2004g-r1
76 virtual/libc
77
78 Pine cannot be installed with uw-mailutils. OK, but why are we
79 installing uw-mailutils in the first place?
80
81 Programs That Depend On uw-mailutils
82
83 net-mail/uw-imap
84
85 Do you need uw-imap? If not, then get rid of it, and unmerge
86 uw-mailutils, and pine will upgrade by itself.
87
88 Oh, I see, the upgraded pine needs it.
89
90 And uw-imap needs uw-mailutils, but not of the -r1 revision that
91 conflicts with the upgrade to uw-imap, and pine.
92
93 So then mask the versions of uw-mailutils above 2004g, and keep an eye
94 on portage, as this looks like a bug which would need to be resolved,
95 and I would imagine that it would be in short order.
96
97 # echo ">=net-mail/uw-mailutils-2004g-r1 >>/etc/portage/package.mask"
98
99 This command assumes that the directory /etc/portage exists already (but
100 the file package.mask need not exist; as long as the folder exists, the
101 file will be created and this line will be added to it; if the file does
102 exist, the mask command will be added to it).
103
104 Hope this helps,
105 Holly
106 --