From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: Users Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Laptop resurrection...
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:00:44
1 I'm still working to get my laptop back up; I have one more thing to try.
2
3 Presently, I am having a problem with the compiling a 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 kernel that actually works. It might be a processor issue - linux reports it as a Pentium M which is what I have selected during 'make menuconfig', but the the grub keeps reporting that it is not a recognized format or something to that effect, so it won't load it.
4
5 Questions:
6
7 1) I am using the Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD to boot with, then chroot'ing into my installation to build the kernel. I shouldn't need a newer LiveCD, correct?
8 2) Grub doesn't need to be re-run (e.g. running the grub prompt and going through the install procedure) after changes to the menu file, correct?
9
10 TIA,
11
12 Ben