From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop resurrection...
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:27:00
1 2009/12/2 BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>:
2 > I'm still working to get my laptop back up; I have one more thing to try.
3 >
4 > Presently, I am having a problem with the compiling a 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 kernel that actually works. It might be a processor issue - linux reports it as a Pentium M which is what I have selected during 'make menuconfig', but the the grub keeps reporting that it is not a recognized format or something to that effect, so it won't load it.
5 >
6 > Questions:
7 >
8 > 1) I am using the Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD to boot with, then chroot'ing into my installation to build the kernel. I shouldn't need a newer LiveCD, correct?
9
10 Correct as long as it recognise your hardware.
11
12 > 2) Grub doesn't need to be re-run (e.g. running the grub prompt and going through the install procedure) after changes to the menu file, correct?
13
14 Correct, assuming you have installed GRUB correctly in the first
15 instance - which makes me ask:
16
17 What is your exact error message?
20 Regards,