From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Upgrading old kernel
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 15:29:24
1 Hello,
4 So I have a gentoo system, with a 3.18.25 kernel.
5
6 It works fabulously, but it is time to upgrade, as most codes dependent
7 on old software, have been migrated.
8
9 So should I skip to a version 5 kernel?
10 If so which one? I usually run hundreds of testing packages so maybe
11 make the new system all testing?
14 Note: Not interested in using genkernel; prefer discrete, old-fashions
15 method of understandable steps;
16 but perhaps scripted...
19 I run many old gentoo systems, from embedded hacks on 32 bit micros to
20 AMD centric workstations (old but reliable). So, I really would like a
21 system/guide that is general, but where I can add details for the
22 various hardware/architectures/ issues. It seems like for 18 years, it's
23 been a 'whatever reboots' incoherent system
24 and I'm tire of it.
27 I need structure and consistency, as I might not upgrade/install any
28 system for months/years
29 and then I need to do a dozen or more, not necessarily of the same
30 hardware. AMD and ARM are what they are mostly, but other variants are
31 in my collective. Hardware is like kids, it's hard for me to let go; ymmv.
32
33 BTW, a guide that is BTRFS centric, would really be cool....
34
35 All discussion/suggestions are welcome, including comments on the links
36 below.
37
38 Is this the best guide to follow?
41 https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/
42
43 or this one?
44
45 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade
46
47 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel
48
49 and this I found this noob_simplified_doc:
50
51 https://blog.khmersite.net/2019/01/upgrade-kernel-on-gentoo/
52
53 Really looking for input for one generalized guide that can have options
54 for various hardware combos.
57 curiously,
58 James