From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading old kernel
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 15:40:34
1 On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > It works fabulously, but it is time to upgrade, as most codes dependent
4 > on old software, have been migrated.
5 >
6 > So should I skip to a version 5 kernel?
7 > If so which one? I usually run hundreds of testing packages so maybe
8 > make the new system all testing?
9
10 If you're more of the mindset of stability over features (as seems to
11 be the case) then I'd stick with a longterm kernel. That means years
12 of updates that basically shouldn't require anything more than running
13 make oldconfig to deal with. Once in a VERY rare while a new option
14 shows up.
15
16 You should be updating your kernel regularly to address security
17 issues and other regressions. If you stay within the same major.minor
18 series you shouldn't be getting anything other than bugfixes.
19
20 I personally use the latest longterm, but not until it has been out
21 for a few months. Mainly this is because I use zfs and don't want to
22 deal with what versions of the one are compatible with what versions
23 of the other.
24
25 Right now I'm on the 4.19 longterm, and I'm getting to the point where
26 I'm contemplating switching to the 5.4 longterm. If I were in your
27 shoes i'd be looking at 5.4 unless there is a reason not to.
28
29 If you're asking how to actually compile/install/etc a kernel just
30 follow the docs, but you should be doing this regularly. Jumping from
31 3.18 you're somewhat more likely to run into issues - your biggest
32 headache though will be dealing with the 30,000 prompts you get from
33 make oldconfig and making sure you set all the new options correctly.
34 You won't get that problem going between two patch-level releases (eg
35 5.4.31 -> 5.4.32).
38 Rich