From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading old kernel
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 18:33:16
1 On 4/15/20 11:40 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It works fabulously, but it is time to upgrade, as most codes dependent
5 >> on old software, have been migrated.
6 >>
7 >> So should I skip to a version 5 kernel?
8 >> If so which one? I usually run hundreds of testing packages so maybe
9 >> make the new system all testing?
10 >
11 > If you're more of the mindset of stability over features (as seems to
12 > be the case) then I'd stick with a longterm kernel. That means years
13 > of updates that basically shouldn't require anything more than running
14 > make oldconfig to deal with. Once in a VERY rare while a new option
15 > shows up.
16
17 Traditionally yes, but not going forward. About 1/2 are on (going to be)
18 the latest and I'll probably just default to every package being the
19 latest testing, github or whatever version.
22 > You should be updating your kernel regularly to address security
23 > issues and other regressions. If you stay within the same major.minor
24 > series you shouldn't be getting anything other than bugfixes.
25
26 Agreed, but most of my systems rarely have a route to the internet or
27 are mostly not connected to any ethernet, continuously.
30 > I personally use the latest longterm, but not until it has been out
31 > for a few months. Mainly this is because I use zfs and don't want to
32 > deal with what versions of the one are compatible with what versions
33 > of the other.
34
35 Yep, for the main system, but using btrfs with redundant drives. I'd
36 like zfs, but not certain about it's future being open, open-source,
37 etc. btrfs has bee great, for what I have done recently.
40 > Right now I'm on the 4.19 longterm, and I'm getting to the point where
41 > I'm contemplating switching to the 5.4 longterm. If I were in your
42 > shoes i'd be looking at 5.4 unless there is a reason not to.
43
44 5.4 sounds good.
45
46 > If you're asking how to actually compile/install/etc a kernel just
47 > follow the docs, but you should be doing this regularly. Jumping from
48 > 3.18 you're somewhat more likely to run into issues - your biggest
49 > headache though will be dealing with the 30,000 prompts you get from
50 > make oldconfig and making sure you set all the new options correctly.
51 > You won't get that problem going between two patch-level releases (eg
52 > 5.4.31 -> 5.4.32).
53
54 Agreed. I was bad sick, off and on for 3 years. Rare blood sugar.....
55
56 80% protein diet fixed it all. NO medications, no sugar very few slow
57 carbs, finally. So, basically my mind was 80% erased. Good thing I kept
58 notes and a myriad of sporadic 'howto docs'.
59
60 Kernel hacking was void for 3 years. Now I feel GREAT and have many
61 gentoo ambitions, 5G and embedded centric stuff; but also a mail and a
62 web server, with very tight security. DNS primaries on little, ram
63 intensive arm boards, are pretty sweet when combined with cloudflare's
64 free, secure dns.
67 Thank for all the help/ideas,
68 James