From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Don't disable 'introspection'
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:07:31
1 Am Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:53:12 -0700
2 schrieb walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
3
4 > I don't understand 'introspection' enough to know why we need it, but
5 > apparently we do, so don't use the -introspection useflag like I did.
6 >
7 > The trouble I introduced a few weeks ago when I disabled introspection
8 > was subtle enough that I didn't realize until yesterday that I even had
9 > a problem.
10 >
11 > Portage had been doing mildly insane things that other people were not
12 > seeing, so as a test I removed the -introspection useflag and spent the
13 > entire day rebuilding packages. My portage problem appears to be
14 > fixed. I hope.
15 >
16 > If anyone can splain what introspection does I'd be grateful.
17
18 This should help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_introspection. In this
19 case I believe it's related to the gobject type system that comes from glib.
20
21 HTH
22 --
23 Marc Joliet
24 --
25 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
26 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup