From: "Marzan
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Excellent Paludis interview
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:03:32
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Zsitvai János [mailto:zsitvaij@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 3:47 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Excellent Paludis interview
6 >
7 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
8 >
9 > > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:46:12 -0600, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
10 > >
11 > >> Portage can continue to build packages if one fails.
12 > >>
13 > >> # emerge -options package/list_of_packages || until emerge
14 > >> -same_options_as_before package/list_of_packages ; do : ;done
15 > >
16 > > Yes it can, but not with this, which will repeatedly try to build the
17 > > same package until entropy stops it. You need
18 > >
19 > > emerge -opts pkglist || untill emerge --resume --skipfirst; do : ; done
20 > >
21 > > but this is a kludge as you will be eying to build packages when their
22 > > dependencies failed. I would hope the paludis option is more
23 > intelligent.
26 > Indeed it is. :) From the man page:
27 >
28 > --continue-on-failure
29 > Whether to continue after a fetch or install error
30 >
31 > if-fetch-only
32 > If fetching only (default)
33 >
34 > never Never
35 >
36 > if-satisfied
37 > If remaining packages' dependencies are satisfied
38 >
39 > if-independent
40 > If independent of failed and skipped packages
41 >
42 > always Always (UNSAFE)
43 >
44 > János Zsitvai
45 > --
46 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
47
48 I'm definitely willing to switch and will most likely do so during the holiday week. Paludis seems to be a favorite amongst experienced users. Which begs the question; Why not redirect all efforts to building a stable, full-featured Paludis as soon as possible and purge portage? One option that I would like is for the build to be done completely in ram until it's compiled and ready to be placed on disk. HDD I/O is the slowest part of the system avoiding it as much as possible on systems with plenty of ram is a good idea.
49
50 Regards,
51
52 Richard