From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo sites go down too much!
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:32:26
1 On Thursday 13 August 2009 21:55:44 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > I believe gentoo.org uses Neustar UltraDNS, whose business exists for
3 > the purpose of providing high-availability DNS
4
5 Well I certainly hope that their actual technical infrastructure is better
6 than their marketing FUD.
7
8 I'm being directly targeted by Neustar's marketing machine but they are clever
9 and not actually mentioning the company by name. I have customer's complaining
10 that the Neustar sales rep tells them privately that @ALANS_EMPLOYER has crap
11 DNS, and now the customer wants reassurance. Which is a conversation I should
12 never be having.
13
14 Facts say otherwise though. 3 distributed auth servers across the planet, one
15 hidden primary pushing updates out, 12 caches distributed across the planet,
16 all in anycast so the customer automatically finds the closest one. Not just
17 customer records either - that system runs a TLD and two 2TLDs. Uptime is
18 1000+ days, and we have never had a DNS outage (and not from lack of trying by
19 the bad guys).
20
21 Inadequate DNS infrastructure? No, Neustar, I don't think so. In my country,
22 you can't even come close to what I have.
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com