From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo sites go down too much!
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:55:46
1 On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Dan Farrell<dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2 > Last week the gentoo forums went down. Then gentoo-wiki.com went down.
3 >
4 > Now it seems as though all of gentoo.org is down.
5 >
6 > What's the deal? What are we to do about this shoddy hosting?
7
8 The deal:
9
10 Gentoo forums went down recently because MySQL crashed and could not
11 be restarted normally, apparently. They were down a week earlier when
12 the servers were moved from Oregon State University to a hosting
13 company in Canada (gossamer-threads.com). I'm not sure if they
14 physically moved the servers or if they moved the data to all-new
15 servers. If the latter, maybe that partially explains the MySQL
16 issues; perhaps they are still working out the new setup.
17
18 I believe gentoo.org uses Neustar UltraDNS, whose business exists for
19 the purpose of providing high-availability DNS and hosting for huge
20 companies (I think they provide services to Amazon and Oracle), it
21 seems like Gentoo.org should be in good hands there.
22
23 Gentoo-wiki.com is a user-run site and whether it is up or down has
24 nothing to do with the gentoo.org sites. (Mike Valstar, whose site it
25 is, also runs gentoo-portage.com). There is a mirror of the old
26 gentoo-wiki.com articles at gentoo-wiki.info which might get you by in
27 a pinch if the g-w.com is down or if you're looking for an old article
28 was lost.
29
30 What are we to do?
31 If you or anyone else have any ideas to improve the, or donations of
32 money, mirrors, better equipment or hosting, I'm sure gentoo web team
33 (or Mike V. for the wiki) would be happy to listen. :)