From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge Problems...
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 01:29:19
1 On Tuesday 01 February 2011 20:43:43 BRM wrote:
2
3 > And you're doing a typically manual process for updating all the
4 > systems - update your server first, then any rsync clients. Fine &
5 > dandy if that is your process - but it's not mine. I may update my
6 > laptop twice as often as the other two, especially if I want to play
7 > with some software or try something out, or fix a bug, or get a
8 > later version of KDE. The server gets updated may be once a month,
9 > while the laptop is either once a month or at whim when I want
10 > something that just came out.
11 >
12 > It's not harder to do it this way, just a different method. The
13 > original rsync script worked perfectly fine; the broken update I did
14 > when I lost it is what started this whole thread.
15
16 What's wrong with keeping your server's portage cache up to date? You
17 don't have to update the server from it if you don't want to, but if the
18 cache is out of date it isn't being much of a server.
19
20 I recommend Occam's Razor.
23 Rgds
24 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.