From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge Problems...
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:45:23
1 ----- Original Message ----
2 > From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
3 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
4 > Sent: Tue, February 1, 2011 12:20:56 PM
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge Problems...
6 >
7 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
8 > > On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 05:48:32 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:
11 > >> If the machine is not fast enough - mine is a PII 233 w/160 MB RAM,
12 > >> takes a while do to updates - then you really have to separate out what
13 > >> you are hosting from what you are using. Otherwise you end up in the
14 > >> situation that you have started one system update (or software
15 > >> install), have a build failure for whatever reason, and then can't
16 > >> complete the same one due to changes in the local copy of portage.
17 > >>
18 > > You can still use emerge -sync instead of a home brewed script. In make
19 > > conf, set SYNC to localhost, then in your cron job, do
20 > >
21 > > SYNC="some gentoo rsync mirror" emerge --sync
24 > >> So, even if your system fell into the first situation - where it is
25 > >> fast enough
26 > >> - then I would still recommend doing the little extra to run as the
27 > >> second situation. It's just far easier to maintain.
28 > >>
29 > > I've been using a single portage tree to serve a LAN and for use by the
30 > > host for years with no hint of any of the problems you suggest. I just
31 > > make sure the cron job on the server syncs earlier than the rest of the
32 > > LAN and everything is up to date.
36 > I used to have four computers a good while back. Back then, I synced my main
37 >rig then synced the others off it. This was several years ago. I don't use a
38 >cron job or anything to do this, just some old fashioned typing. I don't
39 >recall ever having trouble with it syncing to my main rig. Did I mention it
40 >was a very old Compaq 200MHz CPU machine with a whopping 128MBs of ram? Thing
41 >looks like a filing cabinet.
42 >
43 > To me, it seems the OP is making something complicated when it is just not
44 >needed. If you want to use cron jobs, set the main rig to sync a hour before
45 >the others would be set to sync against it. If the rig that syncs to Gentoo
46 >servers is to slow, set them two hours apart. From my understanding, you get
47 >the same tree all the way around.
48 >
49 > Giving some more thought, I once put /usr/portage on nfs. I sync once and all
50 >the systems used the same copy of the tree. The other way worked out to be
51 >easier tho. I seem to recall the need for running emerge --metadata too. That
52 >took a while on the old Compaq. lol
55 And you're doing a typically manual process for updating all the systems -
56 update your server first, then any rsync clients. Fine & dandy if that is your
57 process - but it's not mine. I may update my laptop twice as often as the other
58 two, especially if I want to play with some software or try something out, or
59 fix a bug, or get a later version of KDE. The server gets updated may be once a
60 month, while the laptop is either once a month or at whim when I want something
61 that just came out.
62
63 It's not harder to do it this way, just a different method. The original rsync
64 script worked perfectly fine; the broken update I did when I lost it is what
65 started this whole thread.
66
67 As the old saying goes - Different Strokes for Different Folks.
68
69 Ben