From: Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] i586 stage3 tarball
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 23:55:59
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've already talked about it in the "CHOST" thread, but now it's
4 finished: If you use anonymous FTP and go to
5
6 ftp://one.tisys.org/pub/linux/tisys/gentoo
7
8 you will find a file called "stage3-i586-20110208.tar.bz" that
9 contains a Gentoo stage3 tarball built with CHOST = i586-pc-linux-gnu
10 and march=i586 (CFLAGS).
11
12 If you have an i586 class machine (Pentium, Pentium MMX, AMD K6,
13 K6-II, etc.) you might want to pick up this stage3 tarball and use it
14 for your installation in case you don't want to stick with the i486
15 CHOST of the official Gentoo tarball and / or manually change the
16 CHOST to i586 after installation.
17
18 Installation-wise, of course, you use it in conjunction with a Gentoo
19 minimal installation CD as can be picked up on any Gentoo mirror, and
20 simply follow the Gentoo Handbook, using the above mentioned stage3
21 tarball instead of one of Gentoo's official i486 or i686 ones.
22
23 The stage3 is current portage-wise as of today, and if I actually see
24 people downloading it in the FTP logs I will update it on a regular
25 basis (probably not weekly as is the case with the official Gentoo
26 tarballs, but at least once a month).
27
28 DISCLAIMER: Although I believe the provided stage3 tarball to work
29 just fine, it has not been thoroughly tested, so use at your own risk
30 and report any problems you encounter to me. There shouldn't really be
31 any, but who knows! ;-)
32
33 Greetings,
34 Nils
38 Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)
39 Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998