From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] i586 stage3 tarball
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 01:09:29
1 On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Hi everyone,
4 >
5 > I've already talked about it in the "CHOST" thread, but now it's
6 > finished: If you use anonymous FTP and go to
7 >
8 > ftp://one.tisys.org/pub/linux/tisys/gentoo
9 >
10 > you will find a file called "stage3-i586-20110208.tar.bz" that
11 > contains a Gentoo stage3 tarball built with CHOST = i586-pc-linux-gnu
12 > and march=i586 (CFLAGS).
13 >
14 > If you have an i586 class machine (Pentium, Pentium MMX, AMD K6,
15 > K6-II, etc.) you might want to pick up this stage3 tarball and use it
16 > for your installation in case you don't want to stick with the i486
17 > CHOST of the official Gentoo tarball and / or manually change the
18 > CHOST to i586 after installation.
19 >
20 > Installation-wise, of course, you use it in conjunction with a Gentoo
21 > minimal installation CD as can be picked up on any Gentoo mirror, and
22 > simply follow the Gentoo Handbook, using the above mentioned stage3
23 > tarball instead of one of Gentoo's official i486 or i686 ones.
24 >
25 > The stage3 is current portage-wise as of today, and if I actually see
26 > people downloading it in the FTP logs I will update it on a regular
27 > basis (probably not weekly as is the case with the official Gentoo
28 > tarballs, but at least once a month).
29 >
30 > DISCLAIMER: Although I believe the provided stage3 tarball to work
31 > just fine, it has not been thoroughly tested, so use at your own risk
32 > and report any problems you encounter to me. There shouldn't really be
33 > any, but who knows! ;-)
34 >
35 > Greetings,
36 > Nils
39 > --
40 > Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunstorf-Luthe (Germany)
41 > Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998
44 Interesting. Did you build this up from a stage1 or stage2 tarball?