From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox + kernel panic 2.6.38-r2
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:53:42
1 On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM, James <jtp@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > There doesn't seem to be anything in the VBox.log that indicates the
3 > system had a hard lockup. I imagine the kernel panicing resulted in
4 > VirtualBox being unable to write to the log.
5 >
6 > Is anyone running VB on a Linux raid partition? I've logically
7 > narrowed down the issue to one of the following:
8 >
9 > (a) I've read that network driver(s) have caused some hard lockups on
10 > the host...I'm using bridged mode
11 > (b) there are some strange messages that appear when the VM is started
12 > (regarding misaligned sectors or something like that); I can't seem to
13 > find the messages right now, however. I believe md was the one logging
14 > the errors; maybe this has something to do with the hard lockup?
15 > (c) SMP has probably been ruled out; I have two 4-core Intel 5570s;
16 > the system is under no load whatsoever. In fact, the last two kernel
17 > panics occurred during Windows installation.
18 >
19 > Any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?
20 >
21 > -james
22
23 My Gentoo setup where the Vbox/VMWare executables are kept is a 3-disk RAID1.
24
25 The VMs are kept on a 5-disk RAID6. It's this RAID6 that gets the
26 workout when the VM gets busy.
27
28 If you can the messages that you're concerned about then I can check
29 for anything similar here. I'm currently running 3 VMs.
30
31 Note that if it is a RAID issue that it might not be an mdraid problem
32 but rather the actual disk drive not being up to the tasks it needs to
33 perform. I have a bunch of 1TB WD Green drives on my bookshelf due to
34 RAID problems. I replaced them with WD RAID Edition drives and haven't
35 seen a problem since.
36
37 HTH,
38 Mark