From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New mobo change
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 02:43:38
1 On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 04:40:52PM -0500, Dale wrote
2 >
3 > Well, this is interesting. I swapped out the mobo. First, it has the
4 > UEFI BIOS thing. That was interesting for sure. I'm not complaining
5 > but not used to it and wasn't expecting it either. Second, it works
6 > except for the third part. Third thing is, no mouse worky. It works in
7 > the BIOS but not in the OS. I have gpm set to start and it doesn't work
8 > in a console or a GUI. I tried everything I can think of, no mouse. I
9 > had to swap again. I'm back to my old mobo. Here is the kicker. I
10 > plugged the USB mouse into the old mobo, it works just fine. It works
11 > in KDE, console etc. It just works. The only kernel change I made was
12 > for the chipset on the mobo. I left the USB stuff alone.
13
14 I've run into this in the past. The USB 2.0 drivers are *SUPPOSED* to
15 provide support for lowspeed USB 1.X devices, like mice and keyboards.
16 But it doesn't always work that way. There is direct USB 1.X driver
17 support in the kernel. In "make menuconfig", got to...
18
19 Device Drivers --->
20 [*] USB support --->
21 < > OHCI HCD support
22 < > UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
23
24 I don't see any mention in your message whether the motherboard cpu is
25 AMD or Intel. Generally, build UHCI for Intel+VIA, OHCI for AMD. Try
26 it out and see what happens.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications