From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New mobo change
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 03:55:03
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 04:40:52PM -0500, Dale wrote
3 >> Well, this is interesting. I swapped out the mobo. First, it has the
4 >> UEFI BIOS thing. That was interesting for sure. I'm not complaining
5 >> but not used to it and wasn't expecting it either. Second, it works
6 >> except for the third part. Third thing is, no mouse worky. It works in
7 >> the BIOS but not in the OS. I have gpm set to start and it doesn't work
8 >> in a console or a GUI. I tried everything I can think of, no mouse. I
9 >> had to swap again. I'm back to my old mobo. Here is the kicker. I
10 >> plugged the USB mouse into the old mobo, it works just fine. It works
11 >> in KDE, console etc. It just works. The only kernel change I made was
12 >> for the chipset on the mobo. I left the USB stuff alone.
13 > I've run into this in the past. The USB 2.0 drivers are *SUPPOSED* to
14 > provide support for lowspeed USB 1.X devices, like mice and keyboards.
15 > But it doesn't always work that way. There is direct USB 1.X driver
16 > support in the kernel. In "make menuconfig", got to...
17 >
18 > Device Drivers --->
19 > [*] USB support --->
20 > < > OHCI HCD support
21 > < > UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
22 >
23 > I don't see any mention in your message whether the motherboard cpu is
24 > AMD or Intel. Generally, build UHCI for Intel+VIA, OHCI for AMD. Try
25 > it out and see what happens.
29 Mine is AMD based. I have this right now but tried every other version
30 I could find too.
31
32 <*> xHCI HCD (USB 3.0) support
33 <*> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
34 <*> OHCI HCD support
35 [*] Generic OHCI driver for a platform device
36 <*> Generic EHCI driver for a platform device
37 <*> UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
38
39 Under USB HID support, I have this enabled:
40
41 <*> USB HID transport layer
42 [*] PID device support
43 [*] /dev/hiddev raw HID device support
46 This may help:
47
48 root@fireball /usr/src/linux # cat .config | grep -i hid | grep =y
49 CONFIG_HID=y
50 CONFIG_HIDRAW=y
51 CONFIG_UHID=y
52 CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=y
53 CONFIG_HID_A4TECH=y
54 CONFIG_HID_APPLE=y
55 CONFIG_HID_BELKIN=y
56 CONFIG_HID_CHERRY=y
57 CONFIG_HID_CHICONY=y
58 CONFIG_HID_CYPRESS=y
59 CONFIG_HID_EZKEY=y
60 CONFIG_HID_KYE=y
61 CONFIG_HID_GYRATION=y
62 CONFIG_HID_KENSINGTON=y
63 CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH=y
64 CONFIG_HID_MICROSOFT=y
65 CONFIG_HID_MONTEREY=y
66 CONFIG_HID_NTRIG=y
67 CONFIG_HID_PANTHERLORD=y
68 CONFIG_HID_PETALYNX=y
69 CONFIG_HID_SAMSUNG=y
70 CONFIG_HID_SONY=y
71 CONFIG_HID_SUNPLUS=y
72 CONFIG_HID_TOPSEED=y
73 CONFIG_USB_HID=y
74 CONFIG_HID_PID=y
75 CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
76 root@fireball /usr/src/linux #
77
78 Right before I swapped back, I tried them all. ;-) Here is some more info:
79
80 root@fireball /usr/src/linux # cat .config | grep -i hci
81 CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
82 # CONFIG_SATA_AHCI_PLATFORM is not set
83 # CONFIG_SATA_ACARD_AHCI is not set
84 # CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI is not set
85 CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
86 CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
87 CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_XHCI=y
88 CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y
89 # CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING is not set
90 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
91 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT=y
92 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED=y
93 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI=y
94 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
95 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PLATFORM=y
96 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM=y
97 # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_DESC is not set
98 # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_MMIO is not set
99 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
100 CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
101 CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT=y
102 root@fireball /usr/src/linux #
105 My thinking, there is some driver that is different from my old mobo to
106 this new mobo and I'm missing it or just missing something really
107 simple. I went by the Debian HCL site but maybe something got changed.
108 If I could boot the Sysrescue stick then I could likely figure it out
109 from that. I'm going to update that stick before the next test.
110
111 Keep in mind, for me to test anything, I have to swap mobos again.
112 Naturally I don't want to do that any more times than I have to. Each
113 times runs the risk of me messing up something. :/
114
115 Thanks much to all.
116
117 Dale
118
122 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!