From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When ls command fails but only on $HOME
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:50:16
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 12:28 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Something I have not run into before.
5 >
6 > Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
7 > not run on $HOME.
8 >
9 > I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
10 > not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.
11 >
12 > Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.
13 >
14 > The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
15 > when viewing $HOME with emacs.
16 >
17 > Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
18 > indefinite hang, nothing listed.
19 >
20 > I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
21 > Still just sets there.
22 >
23 > I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
24 > still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.
25 >
26 > In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
27 > $HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
28 > not stop it.
29 >
30 > It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
31 > Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?
32
33 By the time the command hits ls itself, the shell has already expanded the
34 HOME variable. So it's unlikely to be the command and more something dodgy
35 with your shell.
36
37 What shell are you using?
38 What is the output of "echo $HOME"?