From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] When ls command fails but only on $HOME
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:29:38
1 Something I have not run into before.
2
3 Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
4 not run on $HOME.
5
6 I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
7 not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.
8
9 Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.
10
11 The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
12 when viewing $HOME with emacs.
13
14 Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
15 indefinite hang, nothing listed.
16
17 I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
18 Still just sets there.
19
20 I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
21 still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.
22
23 In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
24 $HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
25 not stop it.
26
27 It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
28 Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?