From: Fast Turtle <fturtle@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ext3 FS File Size Limits
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:56:55
1 I've been going around with this little problem for a while.
2
3 I have several 30GB files I'm trying to restore from an NTFS formatted external backup to an ext3 partition, yet every attempt has failed right after 16GB of copying without fail or error message. They silently failing and I'm stumped.
4
5 One of the possible causes I've thought of was running out of innodes but don't know how to check that or any of the other options used to create the file system on - anyone want to help there?
6
7 I've also decided to look at the mke2f.conf file in /etc and see some default options being passed that may be causing the problems
8
9 [defaults]
10 base_features = sparse_super,filetype,resize_inode,dir_index,ext_attr
11 default_mntopts = acl,user_xattr
12 enable_periodic_fsck = 0
13 blocksize = 4096
14 inode_size = 256
15 inode_ratio = 16384
16
17 Normally I use either a 1024 for most everything due to the many small files though for the partition I'm attempting to restore the files to, I've used 2048 as a compromise due to the number of larger files (music/videos) and critical backups from /etc
18
19 I've also tried it with a default 4096 size on a 32GB ext2 formatted flash drive but even then, it's failing at 16GB w/o any error message.