From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext3 FS File Size Limits
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 14:00:29
1 On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 04:55:40AM -0700, Fast Turtle wrote:
2 > I've been going around with this little problem for a while.
3 >
4 > I have several 30GB files I'm trying to restore from an NTFS formatted external backup to an ext3 partition, yet every attempt has failed right after 16GB of copying without fail or error message. They silently failing and I'm stumped.
5 >
6 > One of the possible causes I've thought of was running out of innodes but don't know how to check that or any of the other options used to create the file system on - anyone want to help there?
7 >
8 > I've also decided to look at the mke2f.conf file in /etc and see some default options being passed that may be causing the problems
9 >
10 > [defaults]
11 > base_features = sparse_super,filetype,resize_inode,dir_index,ext_attr
12 > default_mntopts = acl,user_xattr
13 > enable_periodic_fsck = 0
14 > blocksize = 4096
15 > inode_size = 256
16 > inode_ratio = 16384
17 >
18 > Normally I use either a 1024 for most everything due to the many small files though for the partition I'm attempting to restore the files to, I've used 2048 as a compromise due to the number of larger files (music/videos) and critical backups from /etc
19 >
20 > I've also tried it with a default 4096 size on a 32GB ext2 formatted flash drive but even then, it's failing at 16GB w/o any error message.
21
22 What command are you using to copy this data? Try:
23
24 rsync -av /source/ /destination/
25
26 and see if you get any output when it fails. There have been other guesses,
27 but with the information you've provided, that's all we can do. My "guess" is
28 you're using cp and it gets to a large, corrupt file and fails.
29
30 Post back with your command and it's output, then the rsync command above and
31 it's output; as well as the inode command Dale gave you, and any other
32 applicable commands you've had suggested.
33 --
34 Happy Penguin Computers >')
35 126 Fenco Drive ( \
36 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
38 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
39 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
40
41 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
42 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
43 A: Top-posting.
44 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
45
46 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting