From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Perl woes MRO-Compat requires perl-5.10.0 [?!?!]
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:15:40
2 > It is about catalystframework, which is in the perl-experimental overlay (a
3 > misnomer if ever there was one, "experimental"). It is about perl 5.10.0,
4 > which is long overdue for making it into the tree (never mind just into an
5 > overlay).
8 You want to upgrade to perl 5.10.0 on an experimental/testing box? Or do you
9 need perl 5.10.0 for a production environment?
13 > Also, it is about the (likely) painful migration that will come and how to
14 > get informed now.
17 If there is a migration to perl 5.10.0 in the future, it will be as smooth
18 as possible for users, especially those who stick to all non-~x86 or custom
19 packages. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to follow an official
20 guide that has you run some extra commands to ensure that upgrade goes
21 through without problems for Gentoo users. perl 5.10.0 will not be marked
22 stable until all upgrade issues are cleared either via appropriate
23 documentation (official upgrade guide) or via bug fixes elsewhere.
27 > However, it pretty much confirms, by omission, that there are no
28 > plans/actions by the gentoo tree maintainers to address perl 5.10.0, I have
29 > to assume, or someone would have mentioned it. (But how to find out for
30 > sure?)
31 >
32 > And anyone else who runs into this (I must be the only one, though) will
33 > see a resolved bug. Is that a problem..??
36 If you need perl 5.10.0 in a production environment, now or in the future,
37 then you might as well file a bug in bugs.gentoo.org requesting that perl
38 5.10.0 be put into the tree and stabilized. If there is enough interest by
39 users and developers in getting 5.10.0 into the tree and stable, then you
40 will likely see this bug resolved. If on the other hand you are the only one
41 interested, then unfortunately you'll have to do the work in doing the work.
42
43 I am confused about what you're intentions and needs are. Hopefully I've
44 addressed some of your concerns or worries.