From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC upgrade from 4.5.3 to 4.5.4 automatically removes 4.5.3???? Wtf???
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:52:28
1 On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > This has never happened to me before...
3 >
4 > Since when did a simple GCC upgrade *automatically* REMOVE my prior GCC
5 > install???
6 >
7 > I have *always* kept my prior GCC around for a while, if not until the next
8 > upgrade, just as something to fall back on if the current one breaks.
9 >
10 > I am NOT a happy camper.
13 This always happens if the gcc your are upgrading to is in the same
14 slot as the previous one. It is like a normal package upgrade. You
15 can't keep both gccs in the same slot. gcc preserves installations
16 only if they are on different slots. And please write proper subject
17 on emails. "WTF" is not really appropriate for a mailing list.
18
19 Regards,
20 Markos