From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to wake up gdm
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 04:35:43
1 On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 16:37:12 -0400
2 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > 2014-06-29 13:20 GMT-06:00 <covici@××××××××××.com>:
7 > > > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:36:14 +0300
10 > > >> Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > > >>
12 > > >> > Are you sure that you need gdm at all?
13 > > >>
14 > > >> Yes, `startx` doesn't work well in GNOME 3 for a lot of people;
15 > > >> so, unless one attempts to cover what the login manager sets up,
16 > > >> I don't think that a plain call with a plain `exec
17 > > >> gnome-session` will work.
18 > > >>
19 > > >> It for example needs the *-launch things between exec and
20 > > >> gnome-session.
21 > > >
22 > >
23 > > > So, What can I do aside from restarting gdm after it goes to
24 > > > sleep or whatever its doing after a few minutes? Also, I did try
25 > > > startx and I did get a session and it seems to work, although I
26 > > > have not tested extensively.
27 > > >
28 > > Have you tried any other DM? technically gdm, just calls
29 > > gnome-session( it does other things, but thats the main goal), so
30 > > I'd guess, you could use something like lightdm. altought I haven't
31 > > tested it with gnome.
32 >
33 > I have tried xfce4 using startx and it worked great under openrc and I
34 > went to a lot of trouble to boot with systemd to keep using gnome,
35
36 just another reason to return to openrc+xfce4 and, in general,
37 to avoid huge complicated programs that do not comply with the unix
38 principles
39
40 > but maybe I will go back to xfce4 after all, if using startx with
41 > gnome-session gives problems.
42 >