From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to wake up gdm
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 20:37:25
1 Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > 2014-06-29 13:20 GMT-06:00 <covici@××××××××××.com>:
4 > > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:36:14 +0300
7 > >> Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> > Are you sure that you need gdm at all?
10 > >>
11 > >> Yes, `startx` doesn't work well in GNOME 3 for a lot of people; so,
12 > >> unless one attempts to cover what the login manager sets up, I don't
13 > >> think that a plain call with a plain `exec gnome-session` will work.
14 > >>
15 > >> It for example needs the *-launch things between exec and gnome-session.
18 > > So, What can I do aside from restarting gdm after it goes to sleep or
19 > > whatever its doing after a few minutes? Also, I did try startx and I
20 > > did get a session and it seems to work, although I have not tested
21 > > extensively.
22 > >
23 > Have you tried any other DM? technically gdm, just calls
24 > gnome-session( it does other things, but thats the main goal), so I'd
25 > guess, you could use something like lightdm. altought I haven't tested
26 > it with gnome.
27
28 I have tried xfce4 using startx and it worked great under openrc and I
29 went to a lot of trouble to boot with systemd to keep using gnome, but
30 maybe I will go back to xfce4 after all, if using startx with
31 gnome-session gives problems.
34 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
35 How do
36 you spend it?
37
38 John Covici