From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to wake up gdm
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 21:53:35
1 2014-06-29 14:37 GMT-06:00 <covici@××××××××××.com>:
2
3 > I have tried xfce4 using startx and it worked great under openrc and I
4 > went to a lot of trouble to boot with systemd to keep using gnome, but
5 > maybe I will go back to xfce4 after all, if using startx with
6 > gnome-session gives problems.
7 >
8 If you want to run gnome-session from startx, I think your minimum
9 line should be:
10 exec /usr/bin/dbus-lauch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session
11 I have eventually used that for long sessions, but I haven't got
12 around, making it not ask the keyring password, as I only use startx
13 for starting awesome now, when I don't want to use a lot of ram.
14
15 It comes to my mind a workaround for your case, you point out this
16 only happends when you leave gdm sitting there without starting a
17 session, wasting your ram anyway, so why don't you change your systemd
18 defalut.target to just multiuser.target, configure gdm to auto-login
19 your user, alias myxsession=sudo systemctl start gdm.service in your
20 .bashrc, and add proper line for your user with NOPASSWD parameter for
21 that on /etc/sudoers, I would do that if I didn't logged into a X
22 session right away after boot.
23
24 Its a shame it's going bad for you, I've actually had a good
25 experience with the versatility of systemd these past months, and
26 gnome has become a nice desktop in my opinion.
27
28 > --
29 > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
30 > How do
31 > you spend it?
32 >
33 > John Covici