From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:41:34
1 On Sunday 29 Jun 2014 09:42:39 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 29 Jun 2014 05:44:38 Dale wrote:
4 > >> What if I copied data to the drive until it was just about full. I'm
5 > >> thinking like maybe 90 or 95% or so. If I do that and run the test
6 > >> every few days, would it then catch a error after a few weeks or so of
7 > >> testing? I realize no one knows with 100% certainty but I would like to
8 > >> backup my data say every couple weeks just in case. If the drive works,
9 > >> fine. If it fails, well, it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be
10 > >> a primary drive so no big loss.
11 > >>
12 > >> I got to find me a good drive for backups tho. I'm waiting on a good
13 > >> sale of a brand other than Seagate tho. That should help keep two
14 > >> drives from failing at the same time. Well, a little anyway. I think
15 > >> it is called Dale's Law now. ;-)
16 > >
17 > > I'm not sure what it is called, but it seems infectious! I have a
18 >
19 > drive (in a
20 >
21 > > laptop) which I recently zeroed out with dd and fsck -c for good measure,
22 > > before I installed gentoo on it. Yesterday, I tried a long test, but
23 >
24 > it won't
25 >
26 > > complete. It reached "10% remaining" and it stayed there for a few
27 >
28 > hours. I
29 >
30 > > will repeat the test to see if it gets through this time, but I am
31 >
32 > worried
33 >
34 > > that it's on its way out.
35 > >
36 > > Oh well, I may install an SSD if it fails.
37 >
38 > That's seems to be normal at least for me. Mine has certain percentages
39 > that it just seems to sit at for a good while. It eventually passes the
40 > test tho. Just leave it overnight and check it the next morning or
41 > something. I know laptops are different but got to do what you got to
42 > do. Maybe pluging it into a desktop or something would help.
43
44 I've restarted it and will leave it all day today to see what gives.
47 Regards,
48 Mick