From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 08:42:47
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 29 Jun 2014 05:44:38 Dale wrote:
5 >> What if I copied data to the drive until it was just about full. I'm
6 >> thinking like maybe 90 or 95% or so. If I do that and run the test
7 >> every few days, would it then catch a error after a few weeks or so of
8 >> testing? I realize no one knows with 100% certainty but I would like to
9 >> backup my data say every couple weeks just in case. If the drive works,
10 >> fine. If it fails, well, it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be
11 >> a primary drive so no big loss.
12 >>
13 >> I got to find me a good drive for backups tho. I'm waiting on a good
14 >> sale of a brand other than Seagate tho. That should help keep two
15 >> drives from failing at the same time. Well, a little anyway. I think
16 >> it is called Dale's Law now. ;-)
17 >
18 > I'm not sure what it is called, but it seems infectious! I have a
19 drive (in a
20 > laptop) which I recently zeroed out with dd and fsck -c for good measure,
21 > before I installed gentoo on it. Yesterday, I tried a long test, but
22 it won't
23 > complete. It reached "10% remaining" and it stayed there for a few
24 hours. I
25 > will repeat the test to see if it gets through this time, but I am
26 worried
27 > that it's on its way out.
28 >
29 > Oh well, I may install an SSD if it fails.
32 That's seems to be normal at least for me. Mine has certain percentages
33 that it just seems to sit at for a good while. It eventually passes the
34 test tho. Just leave it overnight and check it the next morning or
35 something. I know laptops are different but got to do what you got to
36 do. Maybe pluging it into a desktop or something would help.
37
38 Dale
39