From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:39:46
1 On Sunday 29 Jun 2014 05:44:38 Dale wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> So, thoughts? Did it mark that part as bad and all is well or is this
5 > >> going to be trouble down the line? Should I just fill the thing up with
6 > >> data and test the stuffin out of it to make sure?
7 > >
8 > > That is pretty typical. You wrote to every sector on the drive. You
9 > > don't need to be able to read a sector to overwrite it, so doing this
10 > > cleared out the drive's list of offline uncorrectable sectors. If
11 > > you're fortunate it relocated those sectors in which case the drive is
12 > > only using good sectors now. It can't relocate a sector unless it
13 > > either gets a successful read, or it is overwritten, and you overwrote
14 > > them.
15 > >
16 > > Either way the extended offline test passing isn't unusual. Either it
17 > > relocated the sectors in which case the drive is "completely good" or
18 > > the data written to the bad sectors was readable when the test was
19 > > run, which doesn't guarantee that it will still be readable a
20 > > day/week/month/year from now.
21 > >
22 > > Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to find out what the
23 > > firmware is doing, or to predict the likelihood of another failure.
24 > > The only thing we can say for sure that like all hard drives, it WILL
25 > > fail sometime.
26 > >
27 > > Rich
28 >
29 > What if I copied data to the drive until it was just about full. I'm
30 > thinking like maybe 90 or 95% or so. If I do that and run the test
31 > every few days, would it then catch a error after a few weeks or so of
32 > testing? I realize no one knows with 100% certainty but I would like to
33 > backup my data say every couple weeks just in case. If the drive works,
34 > fine. If it fails, well, it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be
35 > a primary drive so no big loss.
36 >
37 > I got to find me a good drive for backups tho. I'm waiting on a good
38 > sale of a brand other than Seagate tho. That should help keep two
39 > drives from failing at the same time. Well, a little anyway. I think
40 > it is called Dale's Law now. ;-)
41
42 I'm not sure what it is called, but it seems infectious! I have a drive (in a
43 laptop) which I recently zeroed out with dd and fsck -c for good measure,
44 before I installed gentoo on it. Yesterday, I tried a long test, but it won't
45 complete. It reached "10% remaining" and it stayed there for a few hours. I
46 will repeat the test to see if it gets through this time, but I am worried
47 that it's on its way out.
48
49 Oh well, I may install an SSD if it fails.
52 Regards,
53 Mick