From: Matteo Pillon <matteo.pillon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: AW: [gentoo-user] [OT] Why directories aren't files?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:55:36
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 11:49:38AM +0200, Noack, Sebastian wrote:
4 > But independent from this aspect, a file refers in its inode to a
5 > chunk of storage on the hard disk (or other storage medias), which
6 > contains its data. But some files like directories don't contain data.
7
8 A directory IS like a file (in my opinion), it's an inode with
9 data, you can also see it doing an ls -l:
10 drwxr-xr-x 2 pmatthew users 4096 27 dic 2005 a
11 drwxr-xr-x 2 pmatthew users 40960 22 mar 16:20 b
12 Directory 'a' shows a size of 4096, the block size, as it contains
13 only a few files and listing them with their associated inode, needs
14 only a block, but 'b' contains a lot of files and so needs 10 blocks
15 to store the inode-filename list.
16
17 I don't have much knoledge of how ext2 works under the hood, just
18 guessing from the behaviour I see from higher-level tools.
19
20 Thanks for your replies.
21
22 Bye.