From: "Noack
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: AW: [gentoo-user] [OT] Why directories aren't files?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:55:19
1 Hi,
2
3 the question is, what is a file? I would say; a file is an object related to a specific inode. So a directory would be a file as well as FIFOs, unix-sockets, char, block-devices, symlinks and of course regular files.
4
5 The problem is, that not each kind of file is threaded the same way on Linux. And also it isn't on FreeBSD and the most unix-like systems. If you want an OS, where really everything is a file without exceptions and special kind of files, you should use Plan9.
6
7 But independent from this aspect, a file refers in its inode to a chunk of storage on the hard disk (or other storage medias), which contains its data. But some files like directories don't contain data. And when you read from a file for example by cat, the content of its allocated chunk of storage will be read. But if there is no such data, for example because of it is a directory, the most clean way IMHO would be to show a corresponding error message.
8
9 Best Regards
10 Sebastian Noack
14 > -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
15 > Von: Matteo Pillon [mailto:matteo.pillon@×××××.com]
16 > Gesendet: Montag, 18. September 2006 11:11
17 > An: gentoo-user@l.g.o
18 > Betreff: [gentoo-user] [OT] Why directories aren't files?
19 >
20 > Hi all,
21 >
22 > I was wondering why Linux doesn't treat directories like files, as many
23 > other unix implementations do.
24 > For example, in Linux, you can't do 'cat .' while on FreeBSD you can.
25 > Why? There is a practical reason?
26 >
27 > Forgive me this OT, I wasn't able to find a suitable list.
28 >
29 > Thanks for replies.
30 > Bye.
31 >