From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running xsane
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:34:22
1 On Monday 15 February 2010 00:34:42 CJoeB wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I have purchased an HP C4795 Photosmart All-in-One printer, scanner and
5 > copier. I have gotten the printer to work fine after installing the
6 > unstable version of hplip. The copy mechanism works also. However, I
7 > am having trouble with the scanner. I again have installed unstable
8 > versions (i.e. ~x86) versions of sane-backends and xsane). If I run
9 > xsane as root, the scanner is recognized. However, if I run xsane as a
10 > normal user, the device is not recognized. I can't seem to figure out
11 > what to change to rectify this - I've tried changing the owner and group
12 > on the xsane executable, but this didn't work. The permissions for the
13 > xsane executable seem fine. I have added myself to the "scanner" group,
14 > but this doesn't seem to have any affect. Also, despite the fact that
15 > the device can be set up wirelessly, I have not done this - I have the
16 > unit connected to my computer via USB cable.
17 >
18 > Any of you gurus have any ideas?
19
20 Hi Colleen,
21
22 I also have one of those All-In-One printers.
23 To get it to work, I added the "saned" user to the following groups:
24 - lp
25 - usb
26 - scanner
27
28 I'm not sure, but I think "usb" is sufficient for the scanner, but with these,
29 it works on my system.
32 Joost