From: CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Running xsane
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 23:35:31
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I have purchased an HP C4795 Photosmart All-in-One printer, scanner and
4 copier. I have gotten the printer to work fine after installing the
5 unstable version of hplip. The copy mechanism works also. However, I
6 am having trouble with the scanner. I again have installed unstable
7 versions (i.e. ~x86) versions of sane-backends and xsane). If I run
8 xsane as root, the scanner is recognized. However, if I run xsane as a
9 normal user, the device is not recognized. I can't seem to figure out
10 what to change to rectify this - I've tried changing the owner and group
11 on the xsane executable, but this didn't work. The permissions for the
12 xsane executable seem fine. I have added myself to the "scanner" group,
13 but this doesn't seem to have any affect. Also, despite the fact that
14 the device can be set up wirelessly, I have not done this - I have the
15 unit connected to my computer via USB cable.
16
17 Any of you gurus have any ideas?
18
19 Regards,