From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running xsane
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:58:36
1 On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:34:42 -0500, CJoeB wrote:
2
3 > I have purchased an HP C4795 Photosmart All-in-One printer, scanner and
4 > copier. I have gotten the printer to work fine after installing the
5 > unstable version of hplip. The copy mechanism works also. However, I
6 > am having trouble with the scanner. I again have installed unstable
7 > versions (i.e. ~x86) versions of sane-backends and xsane). If I run
8 > xsane as root, the scanner is recognized. However, if I run xsane as a
9 > normal user, the device is not recognized.
10
11 Your scanner's dev node has can only be read by root, the easiest way to
12 fix this is with a udev rule, as the node name changes each time you
13 connect the scanner. This rule works for me, I'm in the canner group,
14 just change the product and manufacturer strings to match
15
16 SYSFS{product}=="CanoScan", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Canon", GROUP:="scanner", MODE:="0660"
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 When told the reason for Daylight Saving time the old Indian said...
23 "Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a
24 blanket And sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket."