From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:48:17
1 On 4/2/2012 11:12 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> Actually, the initramfs finished without a single error: between
5 >>
6 >> [ 1.962007] dracut: + source_conf /etc/conf.d
7 >>
8 >> and
9 >>
10 >> [ 2.395576] dracut: Switching root
11 >>
12 >> there is not a single error. The initramfs did what it needed to do;
13 >> the user space failed *after* initramfs switched root.
14 >>
15 >> Did you recreated the initramfs after the kernel recompilation? 1st
16 >> rule of non-trivial initramfs: you need to recreate it everytime you
17 >> change kernels.
18 >>
19 >> Which partition is the LVM one? /home or /data? Either way, either
20 >> partition should not matter to boot the system correctly. We need to
21 >> see the errors *after* the initramfs switched root; maybe you can
22 >> delete /var/log/messages, reboot, and post it?
23 >>
24 >> Regards.
27 > So the init thingy is going to print all that stuff each time? Or is
28 > that the debug stuff you had me add to the grub line? Please say it is
29 > so. It's one reason I checked my email. I was counting and realized
30 > the debug stuff that was added may haver done all that. Taking a deep
31 > breath helped tho. ;-) I still want my hands on that neck tho. lol
32
33 It was the debug stuff; every line that look like
34
35 "dracut: + stuff here"
36
37 was debugging information; AFAICT dracut mounted /dev/sda3
38 as root then it mounted the two other partitions it found.
39
40 But this could be a problem (from your other email):
41
42 root@fireball / # dracut -H -f /boot/init-thingy
43 E: Dracut module "lvm" cannot be found.
44 E: Dracut module "lvm" cannot be found.
45
46 dracut couldn't find it's lvm module, even though your USE
47 flags are set correctly. Can you try re-emerging dracut with
48 its current USE flags?
49
50 You should have a folder in /usr/lib/dracut/modules named
51 'lvm' that has a 'module-setup.sh' script in it, plus
52 probably some other support files, if everything got
53 installed correctly.
54
55 --Mike