From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] booting from a usb flash drive
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 19:45:05
1 On 16/07/2015 18:40, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > I believe I correctly dd'ed a minimal cd onto a usb flash (aka thumb)
3 > drive.
4 >
5 > I set the boot order on my new system (dell 7450) to have the usb
6 > storage device first. Sure enough I get the isolinux prompt and the
7 > kernel is loaded.
8 >
9 > However after asking for the keymap (I just hit enter)
10 > it types "looking for the cdrom". There is no cdrom.
11 >
12 > It then tries to mount media /dev/sda[123] (which are dell and windows
13 > partitions). When this fails it announces "no bootable medium found"
14 >
15 > I tried adding the doscsi option, no change.
16 >
17 > What did I do wrong?
18 >
19 > thanks in advance,
20 > allan
21 >
22 > PS I did buy an external usb cdrom player and can dd the minimal cd to a
23 > blank media. However, I thought that I can install linux from a usb
24 > stick without a CD at all.
29 The Gentoo minimal CD does not work if you simply dd it to a thumb drive
30 (I rediscovered this anew on Monday). It works just fine if you use
31 unetbootin to do the magic though.
32
33 Or you could wait for the resident expert (Neil) to supply the magic
34 incantation that lets dd do what you want :-)
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com