From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] booting from a usb flash drive
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 16:40:17
1 I believe I correctly dd'ed a minimal cd onto a usb flash (aka thumb)
2 drive.
3
4 I set the boot order on my new system (dell 7450) to have the usb
5 storage device first. Sure enough I get the isolinux prompt and the
6 kernel is loaded.
7
8 However after asking for the keymap (I just hit enter)
9 it types "looking for the cdrom". There is no cdrom.
10
11 It then tries to mount media /dev/sda[123] (which are dell and windows
12 partitions). When this fails it announces "no bootable medium found"
13
14 I tried adding the doscsi option, no change.
15
16 What did I do wrong?
17
18 thanks in advance,
19 allan
20
21 PS I did buy an external usb cdrom player and can dd the minimal cd to a
22 blank media. However, I thought that I can install linux from a usb
23 stick without a CD at all.