From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:11:54
1 On 24/04/2013 11:21, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:00:06 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> - avoid Postfix and Qmail
5 >>>
6 >>> Why? I ask because I have a mail server with reiserfs on the mail
7 >>> spool, it's been running for several years and behaved impeccably,
8 >>> but if there is a good reason to switch, I will.
9 >>
10 >> It's one of those maybe-it-is, maybe-it-isn't scenarios.
11 >>
12 >> Wiki has a pretty accurate description of the scene wrt mail spools:
13 >>
14 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS#Criticism
15 >
16 > "Some directory operations (including unlink(2)) are not synchronous on
17 > ReiserFS, which can result in data corruption with applications relying
18 > heavily on file-based locks (such as mail transfer agents qmail[9] and
19 > Postfix[10]) if the machine halts before it has synchronized the disk."
20 >
21 > So I can lose stuff if the computer crashes. I don't see that as a
22 > specific problem with MTAs. although they do tend to have a lot of file
23 > throughput. On the other hand, I think the fact that maildir uses so many
24 > files is one of the reasons I went with ResierFS in the first place,
25 > running out of inodes on a mail server would not be my idea of fun.
26
27 I solve that problem for me in the obvious way:
28
29 I pay less attention to choice of filesystem and more attention on
30 rigging systems that don't crash!
31
32 Admittedly, I have the luxury of being able to do that, I don't work for
33 Google (who need an entirely different approach due to scale)
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com