From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:18:04
1 On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:10:56 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > "Some directory operations (including unlink(2)) are not synchronous
4 > > on ReiserFS, which can result in data corruption with applications
5 > > relying heavily on file-based locks (such as mail transfer agents
6 > > qmail[9] and Postfix[10]) if the machine halts before it has
7 > > synchronized the disk."
8 > >
9 > > So I can lose stuff if the computer crashes. I don't see that as a
10 > > specific problem with MTAs. although they do tend to have a lot of
11 > > file throughput. On the other hand, I think the fact that maildir
12 > > uses so many files is one of the reasons I went with ResierFS in the
13 > > first place, running out of inodes on a mail server would not be my
14 > > idea of fun.
15 >
16 > I solve that problem for me in the obvious way:
17 >
18 > I pay less attention to choice of filesystem and more attention on
19 > rigging systems that don't crash!
20
21 Maybe that's why I never hit this bug, I don't recall my mail server ever
22 crashing.
23
24 If this mail does not arrive intact, I spoke too so^%£$£"
52 Neil Bothwick
53
54 OPERATOR ERROR: Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah!