From: Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no beep in console
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 06:42:09
1 At Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:06:48 -0400,
2 Peter Wood wrote:
3 >
4 > Hi list,
5 > I have been trying to get the console beep working on 2 laptops (one
6 > with a SIS and one with an Intel sound card). pcspkr is compiled as a
7 > kernel module on both laptops and shows as loaded in lspci, but I don't
8 > get any beeps either in the text console nor in X.
9
10 I have had exactly the same problem, albeit only with an intel hda
11 codec. The interesting thing is that the beep works only when the
12 sound is deactivated (power saving mode on hda chip), so I think it
13 has something to do with the hardware.
14
15 > Both laptops used to run Debian and issued beeps in console mode on
16 > double tab in bash, etc. I did modify any files to disable beeps,
17 > and yes I have unmuted all sound controls.
18
19 Now that doesn't fit my theory. But hope this helps anyway.
20 Regards,
21 Jan
25 Four bits at a time
26 www.thenybble.de