From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a USB-key-to-hard-drive-tap-dance-boot possible?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 22:38:23
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 15:55:23 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 >> One other thing, looking at the docs, it seems that refind requires
5 >> initrd. Am I reading it correctly? If so, I may as well go with grub.
6 >> Grub usually requires setting up stuff once. Initrd requires running
7 >> more often.
8 > While I've only used rEFInd with an initramfs, because I have an
9 > encrypted /, there doesn't appear to be any reason to need one. All it
10 > does is load a kernel and pass it some options.
11 >
12 > You can also use systemd-boot, a separate package for OpenRC users, which
13 > I have used without an initramfs. systemd-boot is very lightweight and
14 > only requires a two line config for each kernel, plus a two line general
15 > config (timeout and default). That's six lines of config for a choice of
16 > two kernels.
17 >
18 > Of course, if you want absolutely minimal, you don't need any boot manager
19 > with UEFI and you can select your kernel from the firmware's boot menu,
20 > but that loses you the ability to edit options on the fly.
25 Is that similar to the old now gone Grub?  I admit, I sort of liked the
26 old grub.  Adding/removing a kernel was pretty darn easy.
27
28 Dale
29