From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a USB-key-to-hard-drive-tap-dance-boot possible?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 21:07:57
1 On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 15:55:23 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > One other thing, looking at the docs, it seems that refind requires
4 > initrd. Am I reading it correctly? If so, I may as well go with grub.
5 > Grub usually requires setting up stuff once. Initrd requires running
6 > more often.
7
8 While I've only used rEFInd with an initramfs, because I have an
9 encrypted /, there doesn't appear to be any reason to need one. All it
10 does is load a kernel and pass it some options.
11
12 You can also use systemd-boot, a separate package for OpenRC users, which
13 I have used without an initramfs. systemd-boot is very lightweight and
14 only requires a two line config for each kernel, plus a two line general
15 config (timeout and default). That's six lines of config for a choice of
16 two kernels.
17
18 Of course, if you want absolutely minimal, you don't need any boot manager
19 with UEFI and you can select your kernel from the firmware's boot menu,
20 but that loses you the ability to edit options on the fly.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 "Press Return to Continue" - known as "The Mail Menupause".