From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a USB-key-to-hard-drive-tap-dance-boot possible?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 20:55:41
1 On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 07:32:42PM +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote
2 > On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 7:17 PM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Thanks for the pointers. Are there any changes I have to make in my
6 > > linux kernel to boot UEFI? Note; legacy BIOS boot is *NOT* an option
7 > > on my new Dell XPS8940. It's UEFI boot only.
8 > >
9 > I'm not sure that it is really necessary for refind, but it doesn't hurt:
10 >
11 > Processor type and features -> EFI runtime service support
12 > " -> EFI stub support
13
14 One other thing, looking at the docs, it seems that refind requires
15 initrd. Am I reading it correctly? If so, I may as well go with grub.
16 Grub usually requires setting up stuff once. Initrd requires running
17 more often.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications