From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Error Message When Loading into Gnome
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:42:58
1 On 09/03/2009 03:38 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > Please disregard any previous emails from me, I was using a differnt
5 > computer to send emails then my almost alive gentoo box (can't wait)
6 >
7 > Just a few porblems with this fresh install:
8 >
9 > When logging into gnome I presented with the follwoing messagebox:
10 >
11 > There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
12 > Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
13 > correctly.
14 > The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
15
16 That error message became very familiar to some of us during the upgrade
17 from gnome 2.24 to 2.26 on ~x86 a few months ago.
18
19 The underlying problem is that gnome-session tries to start a session dbus
20 and fails (I am told) due to a bug in gnome-session. So the fix is to start
21 gnome-session with 'dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session' in your
22 ~/.xinitrc (if you use startx.)
23
24 Alternatively you can use 'exec /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome' in your .xinitrc,
25 or, if you use gdm, you can set XSESSION="Gnome" in /etc/rc.conf, which
26 executes exactly the same shellscript indirectly.
27
28 The whole point of the above is that a session dbus has to be running
29 *before* gnome-settings-daemon is started, or you will get the error you
30 quoted above and nothing works right after that.