From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is KDE part of the system set?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 02:13:24
1 On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:57:00AM -0600, Dale wrote
2
3 I tried a pretend emerge of khelpcenter. I had to unmask dbus and
4 allow a bunch of use flags before it would run. Here's what I ended up
5 with...
6
7 USE="accessibility kde dbus qt3support ssl handbook exceptions" emerge -pv khelpcenter
8
9 ...which would've downloaded 33 packages totalling 220 megabytes. That
10 looks like it could be the culprit. I suggest cp /var/lib/portage/world
11 to your user directory, and go over it with a fine-tooth comb, and ask
12 yourself why you want each of those packages. If you want to see what
13 each package's dependancies are, execute...
14
15 emerge -pv --depclean > x.txt
16
17 ...and then open up x.txt with an editor/viewer. Packages listed as
18 pulled in by "@selected" are in world. I have a script which will
19 generate a list of packages that can be unmerged relatively safely.
20
21 You have one heckuva lot of USE flags. I start my USE with "-*" and
22 add stuff as required. Often, I only add it to package.use.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>