From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is KDE part of the system set?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:07:49
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:57:00AM -0600, Dale wrote
3 >
4 > I tried a pretend emerge of khelpcenter. I had to unmask dbus and
5 > allow a bunch of use flags before it would run. Here's what I ended up
6 > with...
7 >
8 > USE="accessibility kde dbus qt3support ssl handbook exceptions" emerge -pv khelpcenter
9 >
10 > ...which would've downloaded 33 packages totalling 220 megabytes. That
11 > looks like it could be the culprit. I suggest cp /var/lib/portage/world
12 > to your user directory, and go over it with a fine-tooth comb, and ask
13 > yourself why you want each of those packages. If you want to see what
14 > each package's dependancies are, execute...
15 >
16 > emerge -pv --depclean> x.txt
17 >
18 > ...and then open up x.txt with an editor/viewer. Packages listed as
19 > pulled in by "@selected" are in world. I have a script which will
20 > generate a list of packages that can be unmerged relatively safely.
21 >
22 > You have one heckuva lot of USE flags. I start my USE with "-*" and
23 > add stuff as required. Often, I only add it to package.use.
27 This is funny, I add USE flags as I need them as well. You have to keep
28 in mind tho, that USE line is many years old. That USE line came from
29 my old rig and as I emerge things, I add USE flags that I need. I
30 rarely use package.use tho. I'm not that big of a control freak that I
31 want to control a package one by one. My package.use file has 4 lines
32 in it. They been there a while too. I might could remove them since
33 those were due to bugs of some sort.
34
35 I suspect that a lot of USE flags are no longer in use. I tried
36 eix-test-obsolete but it doesn't seem to check the USE flags. Going
37 through those one by one would take a good long while. I don't know of
38 a tool that checks for flags that are no longer in use tho.
39
40 My world file is fine. I went through it a while back and it is fairly
41 small. It's the system set that is larger than normal.
42
43 Dale
44